Re: NANFA-- River Reef Report 7/19

kahley (kahley7_at_ptd.net)
Fri, 19 Jul 2002 18:38:29 -0500

Moontanman_at_aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 7/19/02 5:21:18 PM Eastern Daylight Time, kahley7_at_ptd.net
> writes:
>
> > the other part is that I'm afraid of finding a dead body, tangled
> > up in stuff like that (Don't laugh...it's happened before!!!)
> >

> You found a dead body while snorkeling?

Not snorkeling...swimming.....still really gross. In fact, I
have found three dead bodies in the Susquehanna. But
the swimming incident has given me many nightmares.

> I love your reef stories, it would be
> great to have a large pond and make a reef like that in the pond. I wonder
> how permanent the residents of a "Stream reef " like that are. I have always
> assumed that freshwater fish don't stay in one place very long but your
> accounts seem to contradict this.

If you build it, they will come <g>.

Good habitat is good habitat. I'm working hard to create nice digs..
a variety of nice digs. I've not had too much luck transplanting
valsineria, but I'm learning and as soon as I get a nice stand of
that going downstream of the reef I'll find something else they like
and build that. Leftie lived on the reef for five seasons. All the
"pet bass" that bonded with me move off when they reach a certain size.
But I don't think they go far and I don't think they forget me.
There are several largish bass, outside of the reef proper that
do not scoot when they see me. It's my thinking that they recognize
me from the time they spent on the reef when they were younger.
I always wear a specific set of clothing on the reef and I know for a fact
(well. I;m pretty sure) that they know those clothes cause the fish do
not approach the other snorkelers the way they do me.
I'm just another resident to them...one that does neat things like
pick up rocks and expose the crayfish (oooops) or sometimes
give out goodies (ooops again).
I read on that fish page I linked earlier that walleye range widely
so I'm pretty upset right now. &$_at_( thunderstorm!!!! The
first chance in all these years and I don't get to get a good look!
Oh....permanent residents include the black crappies, sunfish,
catfish and bass. Passer through are the carp and suckers, but I'm pretty
sure they come by at night since I rarely see them on the reef
in the day. There were a couple darters but they don't like the commotion
of the reef and don't stick around.