RE: NANFA-- white spots on Fundulus cingulatus

geoff (gkimber2_at_alltel.net)
Sun, 27 Jul 2003 21:51:43 -0400

Luke-

Thanks for reminding me that I have this book. Duh. I get so caught up
with native fish that I forget that I used to keep tropicals. Still do, a
little.

Thats it all right.

I would be interested to know if anyone on the list has any idea about
incubation period or how long the virus can survive outside a host etc.

I would like to know when my fish room will be safe again. I have some fish
shipments in the works, but I do not want to ship the virus along with the
fish.

I find it interesting that every single fundulus cingulatus in the tank is
sick, but none of the fish I took out of the tank before I realized what it
is are sick at all. There are 2 fundulus chrystous that got left behind in
the tank and they are fine.

The book mentions that when an infection occurs, that usually only a few
fish are infected at a time. I wonder if particular species are more
sensitive than others. Based on what I know about how viruses work in
mammals, it would make sense.

BTW-
Anyone in a biology department want some fish with lymphocytosis disease?
I'll ship them preserved or alive if there is interest. Let me know within
a couple of days as they are bound for the freezer.

Geoff Kimber
Lexington, KY