Re: NANFA-- Freckled Madtom Eating Behavior

Moontanman_at_aol.com
Wed, 24 Mar 2004 01:01:16 EST

In a message dated 3/23/04 10:40:33 PM Eastern Standard Time,
bongi_at_cox-internet.com writes:

> I have noticed a behavior in my Freckled Madtoms that is probably more
> widespread amoung Ictalurids. They don't seem to see the food that is
> placed out for them. Bright red bloodworms are passed right by unless
> their wiskers brush them. Then in a flash the worm is gone. I guess
> the scent of the worm brings the catfish out but they don't seem to see
> the food. Am I correct in my interpretation of this behavior? Is their
> "sight" used to detect predators only or given their nocturnal
> tendancies, is the use of sight not used much at all?

I've noticed many catfish other than channel cats seem to rely very little on
their site. Mostly looking fro shadow that might be predators.

Moon