Re: NANFA-- 2003 Convention questions

Bruce Stallsmith (fundulus_at_hotmail.com)
Tue, 13 May 2003 17:58:11 -0400

<x-flowed>
There's a nearby WalMart and also a bait shop, Junior's, both of which sell
fishing licenses.

As to fish portability... different people use different strategies. A
cooler is always a good holding box, either placing fish in plastic bags or
even using the whole cooler as a portable tank. Bait buckets with snap-lids
also work reasonably well (especially for those collectors who tie them on
to their belts and drag them through the wate as they walkr... you know who
you are). Keeping the water cool and aerated is the goal; there are
battery-powered air pumps, or ones that run off of a car's cig lighter, and
keeping the water out of the sun usually keeps it reasonably cool. We'll do
a fair amount of collecting communally, i.e. work a seine net and people can
divvy up what we net. Others use long-handled nets, so if you have a
long-handled net by all means bring it.

Another thing--bring any snorkeling gear you have. The streams we're
visiting should all be clear and offer some amazing underwater views. On all
the trips we'll try to organize stream use so that snorkelers can do their
thing upstream of any netting which disturbs the water.

And finally--don't take too many fish. It's always a temptation to take more
than you could use, and you just wind up with a bunch of dead fish.

--Bruce Stallsmith
Huntsville, AL, US of A

>From: "David Ramsey" <djramsey_at_earthlink.net>
>To: <nanfa_at_aquaria.net>
>Subject: NANFA-- 2003 Convention questions
>Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 17:35:21 -0400
>
>Some more basic questions.
>What to bring to the convention for collecting:
>Long handled net? any particular size/type/place to get one?
>What do you keep the fish in during the day while going from place to
>place?
>Is there a place close by to get a fishing license, or should I pick one up
>somewhere along the way driving over?
>David Ramsey
>djramsey_at_earthlink.net
</x-flowed>