RE: NANFA-- Goldstein article in AFM and a Request for

geoff kimber (gkimber2_at_earthlink.net)
Mon, 18 Nov 2002 20:51:22 -0500

I actually liked physics.

Specific Heat:
The amount of heat required to raise the temperature of one gram of
substance one degree Celsius.

the specific heat of water is 1 calorie/gm/degree Celsius.

the heat capacity of air is about 0.25 calories/gm/degree Celsius.

the difference is that air is about 800 times denser than water, so you get
more cooling per volume of coolant.

There is more to this equation - like the fact that if you used water in the
fridge, it would be cooled by air in the fridge, and he fact that you are
limited in the amount of air that you introduce into the tank etc. Might be
easier to buy a thermoelectric pump chiller.

If you are *really* motivated and are comfortable with a soldering iron, you
could always build your own heat pump for your aquarium. www.meci.com has
surplus 50 watt 12 volt 6 amp thermoelectric heat pumps for under $20. that
does not include the power supply, which would need to be rather powerful.

I have thought seriously about this over time, but have yet to find a power
supply that makes this cost effective.

Geoff kimber
lexington,ky