Re: NANFA-- Speaking of dip nets

Mysteryman (bestfish_at_alaweb.com)
Sun, 09 Nov 2003 13:20:36 -0800

David Smith wrote:

> I've used clear plastic bags while scuba diving when I lived in Florida.
> What I did was fill them with water and set them where I knew a fish was
> then ease the fish into the bag using a stick or my fingers. This should
> work in freshwater too. The fish can't see the bag and swim right into it.
> These did not have a ziplock (that may tip a fish off that it is a trap).
>
> Dave Smith

I use monofilament and clear plastic sheet nets all the time. I wouldn't
go so far as to say they are superior, though. They're very handy for
herding fish into with a more visible net, and that's the use for which
I've found them the most effective. Just set the clear one up behind
them, or around a corner or whatever, and chase them right into it.
Works almost every time.
Otherwise, they're pretty unwieldly and hard to use on account of the
way they drag through the water and collapse on themselves. At least in
my experience anyway; maybe a lot of practice and finesse can overcome
these problems.