Re: NANFA-- Atlantic Salmon Farming

Haas,Travis Charles (travis.c.haas_at_lawrence.edu)
Sun, 09 Nov 2003 16:43:09 -0600

<x-flowed>
Thanks to everyone who suggested information sources.

And to finally answer your question, Jay - yes, the focus
of my presenation will be Atlantic salmon farmed in the
Atlantic. As to my statement regarding salmon farming's
"impacts on the ocean environment," the basic research
I've done so far makes mention of tropical fish harvests
being used to feed the salmon, antibiotics being released
into the water, and large concentrations of fish waste
collecting at the site of the pens. So I guess I'm
already beginning to answer my own question. As to how I
will relate my topic to biodiversity: I will point out the
impacts of the above-mentioned pollution and the
interbreeding between captive and wild salmon.

Thanks again

Travis