Re: NANFA-- KY collecting (long)

Al G Eaton (sege7_2000_at_yahoo.com)
Fri, 26 Oct 2001 07:58:09 -0700 (PDT)

I am still hacking my head off...if I were on the east
coast I would have beat cheeks to the hospital by now,
but I am confident its just a cold or flu and nothing
more.

Etheostoma atripinne is closely related to Etheostoma
simoterum, and is found in the red river. Etheostoma
"golden snubnose" is undescribed as far as I know and
has collection dots farther west in the red river, but
I have collected it in the area where you were. I get
off I-65 in the tennessee exit where there is a
winery, I dont have my atlas so I can't remember which
one that is. The atripinne have a series of red dots
(the males) and the golden snubnose does not. I am
not sure but I think both of these fish are mentioned
in passing in Peterson's but of course there isnt a
drawing or a map of either. The atripinne are likely
lumped in with the simoterum, if you read the account
thats where they might be mentioned. I wish I could
have made that trip ... I would have taken you to
trammel's fork too which has some wonderful darters
and SRBD. In my opinion the SRBD from the Barren
River are the nicest I have seen. I'll take a look at
home to see if I have pics of those darters. I know I
have some of the atripinne.

Klaus