Re: NANFA-- Re: nanfa V1 #1445

Bruce Stallsmith (fundulus_at_hotmail.com)
Mon, 07 Oct 2002 21:51:46 -0400

<x-flowed>
I think that what Dave is getting at is that the bottom line of our
interests is the well-being of native North American fishes in their natural
environment. Keeping exotic animals can be a threat to the local
environment, as they tend to escape as we've all seen and heard about again
and again. Our local group on Saturday saw endangered Vermillion and
Watercress Darters along Turkey Creek in Jefferson County, Alabama, and I
was struck and humbled by seeing them in this beautiful, as yet unspoiled
creek. We also saw goldfish in a spring head above Turkey Creek, the result
I'm sure of an ignorant planned release. So the threats are real and
present. You've got to decide what you value.

--Bruce Stallsmith
Huntsville, AL, US of A

>In a message dated 10/7/02 10:19:57 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
>dlmcneely_at_lunet.edu writes:
>
><< Regarding all the discussion and opposition that has been voiced on this
> list to the USFWS and variousl states enacting new regulations regarding
>the
> family Chanidae: Isn't this the North American NATIVE Fish Association?
> Should we not be doing what we can for NATIVE fishes?
> >>
>I don't remember the words but there used to be a saying or poem to the
>effect that I didn't say anything when they came for the Jews because I
>wasn't a Jew, I didn't say anything when they cam for the Catholics because
>wasn't a Catholic and I didn't say anything when they came for the Baptists
>because I wasn't a Baptist so when they cam e for me there wasn't anyone
>left
>to help because they had already came for every one else. That has
>applications that go beyond religion, politics, or even hobbies. Together
>we
>stand divided we fall, and as long as we allow the little things to divide
>us
>there is no hope for any collective action.
>
>Moon
</x-flowed>