Re: NANFA-- help with fish ID

John Bongiovanni (bongi_at_cox-internet.com)
Tue, 08 Oct 2002 01:35:15 -0500

<x-flowed>
Nick,
But if the fish was captured locally near you, the best fit would be
the Sand Shiner though the wedge near the dorsal is not evident in the
photos. It also looks alot like the swallowtail shiner but the lateral
line is more curved in the photo. I assume that the shiner was captured
locally? If I caught it near here in Texas I would have called it a
weed shiner and just overlooked the faint or missing bar on the snout.
I think what gives it away is the nipple on the pupil and the puntate
lateral line.

Let me know what you think.

John Bongiovanni

> Nick Zarlinga wrote:
>
>> I still need help IDing the fish in the photos. There was one
>> suggestion of
>> a silver shiner, however I don't think it is. Any help is appreciated.
>> Thanks.
>>
>> http://www.farmertodd.com/nanfa/nick/
>>

>> Nick Zarlinga
>> Aquarium Biologist