Re: NANFA-- Fishless Streams

Richard J Rego (newzoo_at_juno.com)
Fri, 31 Oct 2003 08:24:28 -0500

Hello All,

Similar to what Ron stated below, I just recently scored on eBay,
4 copies of fisheries surveys done in Massachusetts from 1942 to 1952. I
got them at .99 each too! They are broken down by region, e.g.: eastern
lakes, ponds and reservoirs; lakes and ponds of north central
Massachusetts; fisheries reports for Plymouth, Berkshire and Barnstable
Counties, etc..
They were done, it seems, to figure out how each body of water
should be managed in regards to gamefish species. However, a near
complete fish fauna survey was done in each body of water investigated,
as well as other information such as depth, acreage, fish stocking
history, etc.
Really interesting books, surveys that I would love to see done
now. Obviously a fisheries survey done in the late 40's - early 50's is
now an outdated reference for most intents and purposes. With the
introduction of non-native species, restoration of anadramous fish runs,
water quality issues, and stocking, one realizes that new surveys must be
conducted, and new material published.

Rick Rego
MA/New England Reg. Rep.

------
-----
> /"Unless stated otherwise, comments made on this list do not
> necessarily
> Association
> / nanfa_at_aquaria.net. To subscribe, unsubscribe, or get help, send
> the word
> / subscribe, unsubscribe, or help in the body (not subject) of an
> email to
> / nanfa-request_at_aquaria.net. For a digest version, send the command
> http://www.nanfa.org
Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!