Re: NANFA-- Natives should get TV exposure

Robert Carillio (darterman_at_hotmail.com)
Sat, 16 Sep 2000 10:13:43 EDT

In Milton Trautman's FISHES OF OHIO, there is a section in the begining that
describes Ohio from the early 1700's. Just going back that far was amazing
to read about. How western Ohio contained what was called "The Great Black
Swamp" along the coast of Lake Erie must have been an incredible sight.... a
swamp stretching 120 miles long, and 40 miles wide. Today, onle remnants
remain along the shores of the lake. These are protected, and one can get a
glimpse into the past in that area. The land has been drained for
agricultural use and the like.... you know how it goes!!!.... The tall grass
prarie descriptions are also incredible. If any one gets a chance, they
should read this section of that book!