Re: NANFA-- Swine Creek... the real swine

Bruce Stallsmith (fundulus_at_hotmail.com)
Tue, 03 Sep 2002 10:46:10 -0400

<x-flowed>
As Americans, we as a group are unfortunately good at this kind of damage.
The woods seem to go on forever, and anyway we wuz just funnin'. Unless
these people signed in somehow somewhere (I doubt it) there's not much
anyone can do except to stare in disbelief. What is it about motorized
"sports" in open areas that often gets people (guys, of course...) acting
like this? Off-Road Vehicle (ORV) access is a major dispute in a lot of
federal lands, from Cape Cod, MA, to Death Valley, CA, and southern Utah. I
don't think that the majority of ORV people are total a**holes like in
Casper's story, but you certainly give any goofballs easy access to places
they wouldn't get to otherwise. The hole in my prejudice in the Casper story
is the presence of horses which I find strange; in my experience, people who
go in-country with horses don't trash an area. Hmmm... this is certainly a
twisted story.

--Bruce Stallsmith
Huntsville, AL, US of A

>From: Prizma_at_aol.com
>To: nanfa_at_aquaria.net
>Subject: Re: NANFA-- Swine Creek... the real swine
>Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 09:46:47 EDT
>
><PRE>this was campers trash and the impact they had with horses and 4
>wheelers.
>they left the mountain stream in a total wreck.
</x-flowed>