NANFA-- RE: Fish Camp details

Stott Noble (stottn_at_ncgconsulting.com)
Wed, 4 Sep 2002 01:22:56 -0500

Hey Guys-

My plan is to leave Birmingham no later than 9:00 AM on Sat. That
should put me in base camp between 1:00 and 2:00. I'm hoping to find a
WalMart or a Kmart to get legal on the way (in Tupelo, maybe?) so
probably closer to 2:00 PM. My cell is (205) 586-1715 but I'll have no
signal once I leave HWY 78. Maybe y'all could leave a map with the
prospective sites for the day at base camp (Martin, is your wife staying
at base camp?) and I'll try to find you, or, some charitable soul could
make a trip back to camp and get me. What a great time for a late lunch!
:). In any case, I'm looking forward to it and I'll see you on Saturday.

-Stott

-----Original Message-----
From: Irate Mormon
Sent: Tuesday, September 03, 2002 5:52 PM
To: prizma_at_aol.com; rose Lawn Museum; rangerbob at optidynamic.com;
stottn_at_ncgconsulting.com; fundulus at hotmail.com
Cc: nanfa_at_aquaria.net
Subject: Fish Camp details

OK campers, here's the plan (more or less!):

It looks like most of us will be arriving Friday afternoon, so we shuld
be able to get an early start Saturday morning, UNLESS
somebody speaks now and says they can't be there until Saturday, in
which case I need an ETA. If anybody wishes to share their
cell phone number so latecomers (like Stott) can locate us in the field,
please do so. My wife will probably keep her phone at the
base camp (601-906-9099 -do you use area codes with cell phones? I'm
clueless, I hate the damn things) so if anybody gets lost on
the way they can check in from base camp.

I have an extra tent, plus room in my big tent, if anybody needs shelter
or wishes to economize. Sorry, no extra sleeping bags :-( I
also have a couple of air pumps. The campsites have electricity so you
can plug right in.

Now, get out your DeLormes - Map21, please - Saturday we will be
sampling Little Yellow Creek and some of the little streams that
drain Lake Pickwick. Sunday will be Bear Creek (possible canoe trip if
anybody's up for it - it's a great way to sample out-of-the-way
spots), Cripple Deer Creek, and Cedar Creek.

* Note Casper* Cave Spring is NOT a good snorkeling place.

I haven't been to some of these sites - I am using "secondhand" sites,
and a lot of these roads are poorly marked if at all. I thought
about buying a GPS for this and future trips, but Nah, maybe next time.
Maybe one of you guys has one? In exchange for some of
the museum's "secret" honey holes, I offered to bring back some fish for
their exhibits. They want Percina evides particularly, so if
we catch any I'll expect you to pony up!

You will want to bring charcoal (instant lite preferrably) and food to
grill, and plates and stuff. Also MOSQUITO REPELLENT. At just
one hostpital in Jackson we have 12 cases of WNV - this virus is no joke
folks. Also maybe an electric fan - the nights have been
rather cool lately but hey, why take a chance?

I think that's all for now - this is gonna be SO much fun!

Prost,

Martin
Jackson, MS

--