Re: NANFA-- exotics

Bob Bock (bockhouse_at_earthlink.net)
Sat, 21 Sep 2002 10:32:53 -0400

Excuse me. Been out of touch for awhile. Exotics are a difficult problem.
On the one hand, people like keeping fish. On the other hand, exotic
species cause problems. On the third hand, fish and game depts and mosquito
control agencies release fish all the time. On the fourth hand, huge
industries have evolved around fishing for introduced sport fish.

It's a big problem, with no simple answers. I will say, though, that living
about 30 minutes from Northern Snakehead ground zero as I do, I support
legislation to outlaw their import. There's always some stupid idiot to
louse things up for the rest of us responsible fish keepers.

But if the northern snakehead ever got out, it just might cause numerous
local extinctions. And because of it's ability to move across land, there's
no telling how far it can travel.

The Maryland Department of Natural resources removed over 1100 hundred
snakeheads from the Crofton pond--from one pair that had been introduced
just two years before! When I seined that pond for a good two hours, all I
could come up with were 4 bluespotted sunfish.

I wrote an editorial for the Baltimore Sun, and appeared on half a dozen
local TV news broadcasts and CNN to tell people it was a bad idea to release
captive species into the wild.

What happened next? A week or two later, someone released a giant snakehead
from the Chesapeake Bay. Maybe he (or she) missed all the snakehead stories
that summer. Or maybe it was a case of someone with obsessive defiant
disorder.

In any case, in this instance, I think a law to keep out snakeheads is
warranted.