Re: FW: NANFA-- Public Aquarium closing

Dakota (DAKOTA6_at_flash.net)
Sun, 22 Sep 2002 15:59:25 -0500

Thank you Nick, for the update...
Charles A.
Ft.Worth,Tex.
--- Original Message ---
From: "Nick Zarlinga" <njz_at_clevelandmetroparks.com>
To: <nanfa_at_aquaria.net>
CC: "Chris Bonar (E-mail)"
<cjbonar_at_hotmail.com>, "Mark L. Rehling (E-mail)"
<mjr_at_clevelandmetroparks.com>
Subject: FW: NANFA-- Public Aquarium closing

>This is a response from a friend of mine who is the
curator of the aquarium.
>It is good news!

facility to the
>public.
>
>Due to overwhelming support from the Dallas
community, the Aquarium will be
>remaining open to the public. In fact, we will be
moving forward with our
>accreditation process and starting the design plan
for our future renovation
>and expansion.
>
>While the Dallas Zoo is our managing entity, we are
accredited separately
>from the Dallas Zoo due to separate admission fees,
attendance tabulation
>and the fact we are a remote facility from the zoo (6
miles away).

>While this has not been an easy time for staff, we
are excited about our
>plans to move forward and look forward to renewed
participation to a larger
>variety of conservation and research projects.
>
>Fort Worth did close its Aquarium due to a very aging
and deteriorating
>structure. We on the other hand continue to make
improvements to our
>facility. I think its fairly understandable that
many Aquarium and Zoo
>facilities are undergoing financial hardship --- we
are no different.

>Hope you are well and I look forward to see you at
next year's RAW.

>All the best
>
>Brian Potvin
>Aquarium Curator
>Dallas Aquarium at Fair Park
>214-670-8456

nanfa_at_aquaria.net]On Behalf
>>Of Denkhaus, Robert
>>Sent: Sunday, September 22, 2002 10:26 AM
>>To: NANFA (E-mail)
>>Subject: NANFA-- Public Aquarium closing
>>

>>FYI for anyone who keeps up with such things.
>>
>>I recently was told by an employee of the Dallas
Aquarium at Fair Park that
>>the facility will be closing. It appears to be
mostly financial (Dallas is
>>having a rough time of it financially speaking) and
partly because the
>>Aquarium could keep the Dallas Zoo from maintaining
its American Zoo and
>>Aquarium (AZA) accreditation. We lost the Fort
Worth Zoo's aquarium
>earlier
>>this year.
>>
>>Rob Denkhaus
>>Fort Worth Nature Center & Refuge
>-
>>--
>>/"Unless stated otherwise, comments made on this
list do not necessarily
>>/ reflect the beliefs or goals of the North American
Native Fishes
>>/ Association"
>>/ This is the discussion list of the North American
Native Fishes
>>Association
>>/ nanfa_at_aquaria.net. To subscribe, unsubscribe, or
get help, send the word
>>/ subscribe, unsubscribe, or help in the body (not
subject) of an email to
>>/ nanfa-request_at_aquaria.net. For a digest version,
send the command to
>>/ nanfa-digest-request_at_aquaria.net instead.
>>/ For more information about NANFA, visit our web
page,