Re: NANFA-- Non-Release Policy

Mark (nanfa_at_jonahsaquarium.com)
Wed, 17 Sep 2003 22:24:07 -0400

<x-flowed>
At 2:29 PM -0400 9/15/03, Thomas Crabill wrote:
>Here's a question about the non-release policy: What happens if you
>catch some small fish in the spring, but by the end of summer
>they're outgrown their aquarium. Can you return them to where you
>caught them? Why or why not?

Well, I guess others have addressed this pretty well, but since I
kind of brought it up, I'll throw in my two cents: It's just very
unpredictable what might or might not happen. So why take a chance
on damaging an entire population just for the sake of a few unwanted
fish? But the real crux is this -- If hobbyists continue to be
blamed for releasing "pets" into the wild, laws will eventually be
enacted restricting or prohibiting the keeping of "pets". So again,
err on the side of safety. If you maintain a policy of _never_
releasing fish, then you always have an alibi when accusations are
made that hobbyists are the problem.

--
Mark
Ohio