NANFA-- lymphocytosis

Gay (ghemsath_at_att.net)
Wed, 17 Sep 2003 19:27:48 -0800

Hello
I don't believe that just boiling the gravel will be enough to kill a virus.
Soak the gravel in a bleach (Clorox) for 24 hours first then boil it
Boiling gravel only will get the out side of the gravel hot, it would take
several hours of boiling to get the small cracks into the in side of the
pieces hot
The heat would need to get the core of the gravel hot enough to sterilize
these
That's why hospitals use stem under pressure (auto-clave)

Gay
Alaska

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-nanfa_at_aquaria.net On Behalf
Of geoff
Sent: Wednesday, September 17, 2003 4:33 PM
To: nanfa_at_aquaria.net
Subject: Re: NANFA-- Non-Release Policy

I used to believe this was a long shot but not any more.

Perhaps you might remember that I had some mollies with lymphocytosis
this spring?

Well, it spread to two local species that I kept in several of my tanks
- Fundulus notatus and Phoxinus erythrogaster with pretty much 100%
infection rates.

Both fish species were from local streams. In case you aren't familiar
with lymphocytosis, its an incurable viral infection that is very
contagious among fish families. So this batch of lymphocytosis could
apparently spread among cyprinids pretty easily, but my darters are
probably immune.

The virus can live a very long time without a host (months to years, I'm
told). I have killed all the infected fish and this fall and winter, I
will be sterilizing the infected tanks by boiling gravel and bleaching
the tanks. This spring, I will capture some Fundulus notatus, put them
in the tanks and watch them carefully for signs of infection.

So long story short, if I had released anything after the outbreak
started, I would have introduced a rather virulent virus that might have
had a significant impact on the fish in my area.

No thanks.

While I have to admit I have been guilty of releasing fish before, I
never will again.

Geoff Kimber
Lexington KY