Re: RE: NANFA-L-- Niagara River gobies?

dlmcneely-in-lunet.edu
Tue, 05 Apr 2005 10:31:17 -0500

Resonding to this gem of communication :-) --

Here is exactly what I was responding to. Perhaps Todd did not write
it, perhaps someone else did. The person who did write it seemed quite
interested in getting some round gobies and keeping them.
> swel0828-in-brockport.edu wrote:
> >
> > Dear Todd -
> >
> > I would suggest NOT transferring ANY exotic round gobies
> > (Neogobius melanostomus) from the present waters they have invaded;
> > regardless if they have been banned yet or not.

> Well, all that said, I for one would still love to get ahold of some.
> They look really cute in the pictures. I can assure everyone that they
> would never escape into my nearby waters.

So far as providing, Todd must have missed the part where I said that
I have provided, but that far out scenarios do arise. In fact, a
colleague in another state discovered that his neighbor's home colony
of exotic reptiles had been released into a local park even though he
had specific instructions filed with family members and an institution
prepared to receive them. His wife died with him in an accident, his
daughter was en route to his home from another state, and the other
persons who were responsible had contacted the nearby relatives and
asked them to await their arrival before doing anything with the
animals. The fellow who released them claimed that he did not believe
the reptiles were able to go without food for the two days he was asked
to wait (they could, and he had been told so), and he thought they
would be better off in nature than in cages. He was interviewed and no
charges were filed after he was "counseled" by state wildlife personnel.

Yes, Todd, academicians are really terrible-in-communication. I was
unable to say in my post that transporting and keeping round gobies is
a mistake -- just couldn't manage it so it was understood. But that
was me, not academicians generally. If you want to say that someone
has done a poor job of something, just say so. But don't cast a
broader net. I could have said that aquarium hobbyist generally are
scofflaws and prone to bring about undesirable introductions, but that
would be wrong. Most are responsible.

We do have responsibilities beyond the law -- .

David L. McNeely, Ph.D., Professor of Biology
Langston University; P.O. Box 1500
Langston, OK 73050; email: dlmcneely-in-lunet.edu
telephone: (405) 466-6025; fax: 405) 466-3307
home page http://www.lunet.edu/mcneely/index.htm

"Where are we going?" "I don't know, are we there yet?"