RE: NANFA-L-- mussels and crawfish

Subject: RE: NANFA-L-- mussels and crawfish
From: Bruce Stallsmith (fundulus-in-hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Aug 26 2004 - 09:02:31 CDT

Mussel ID work can make fish ID work look easy (examples: the genus
Quadrula, and all of the various pigtoes...). One of the classics, if you
can track it down-in-a library, is a publication of the EPA called
"Freshwater Unionacean Clams (Mollusca: Pelecypoda) of North America", by
J.B. Burch, GPO Stock Number 501-00588. A good source for much of the
southeast is "The Freshwater Mussels of Tennessee" by Paul Parmalee and
Arthur Bogan, published by the University of Tennessee Press.

--Bruce Stallsmith
Huntsville, AL, US of A

>From: "DeMarle, Stephen" <Stephen_DeMarle-in-cable.comcast.com>
>To: "'nanfa-l-in-nanfa.org'" <nanfa-l-in-nanfa.org>, nanfa-l-digest-in-nanfa.org
>Subject: NANFA-L-- mussels and crawfish
>Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 08:58:34 -0400
>
>With all these emails on mussels I'm wondering what is the best way to
>identify species that you might come across. I'm pretty sure that a
>Peterson Field Guide to Mussels of the United States hasn't been released.
>Is there any field guide available? Also does anyone know of a Crayfish
>idendification guide? Thanks.
>
>Steve

: Wed Sep 29 2004 - 12:24:23 CDT