Re: NANFA-L-- Collecting (Canadian RIver)

Peter Unmack (peter.lists at)
Sat, 27 Aug 2005 09:10:02 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005, madtom wrote:

> The habitat changes very little from here to Norman, and the pupfish have no
> trouble fitting in this far east. I wonder what keeps zebrinus from
> migrating east? Any ideas?

I'm not really that massively familiar with that species. They are pretty
abundant in the upper Red River tributaries, but they seem rare lower down
in the Red. They probably just don't deal with competition with the
larger number of species further downstream. They seem to be best in
harsh environments with few other coexisting species. Maybe different in
other parts of their range though.

Cheers
Peter Unmack