Re: NANFA-L-- French Creek, and a snot otter, finally!

Jeff Grabarkiewicz (threehorn_wartyback-in-yahoo.com)
Thu, 10 Aug 2006 14:30:32 -0700 (PDT)

Also sexual dimorphism in ovata. I guess some studies show ovata/cardium as two different species while other taxonomists claim they are ecomorphs.

No pink muckets btw.

"Todd D. Crail" <tcrail-in-UTNet.UToledo.Edu> wrote:
Bruce,

They seem to have been extirpated from this part of the range. I don't know
if Jeff and crew saw any, French Creek would be the part of this drainage
where they'd occur, and probably further down from what I read in Parmalee
and Bogan. Watters lists them as "Only occurring in the Ohio River" and
mentions that they haven't seen any in the Muskingum, but that was 1995.

Maybe Matt Ashton has some thoughts?

Jeff, so good to see you back at a computer buddy!

The difference, so I think, between long solid and round pigtoes is the
orientation and elevation of the beak, correct? So you did see subrotunda.
Hmmm...

I've got vouchers of all thanks to the baffling rule that you can kill 50
mussels a day for fishing on a license in PA (you can kill two hellbenders
per day too!). Works out pretty well when you just want the already spent
animal remains for education. Blake has a great start on a voucher
collection and I was able to add some eye candy to mine, along with some
examples of species we don't see in the Great Lakes. Anyway, I'll get some
photos once they're cleaned up.

I think we were in a mess of ovata, I brought home various intergrades, and
none of them looked that much like cardium. A guy floating by... Well this
is a story I forgot to tell.

So this group a canoes is going by drinkin and smokin and all that rot and I
think "Oh great." Guy asks us if we're snorkelling the mussels, Blake
starts talking to him, and the guy asks if there's "those riffleshells
here?" We were both kind of apprehensive to answer that question, but then
the dude fired right down the line of species he would want to see there and
then I was really wishing they would have stopped.

"Clubshells? No, aw man! How about rabbitsfoot? Rayed Bean? Wavy-rayed?
Pocketbooks? Yeah these are ovata, the cardium will have bright green
stripes on them." And then they floated out of view...

Now when we see clouds of smoke following the canoes in Michigan, it's
highly likely that those canoes contain folks quite merrily living in
oblivion, and dumping most of their garbage into the resource they're
enjoying, etc. But I learn more and more by example to forget what I
already think I know and let the present dictate itself :)

Todd
The Muddy Maumee Madness, Toledo, OH
http://www.farmertodd.com