Re: NANFA-L-- fish transportation

ichthos-in-comcast.net
Sun, 13 Aug 2006 17:57:45 +0000

Bob Sinclair wrote:

> I gather from postings there won't be
> much collecting available during the convention

Oh contraire, Sinclair!

Three collecting (aka sampling) trips are planned and attendees will be allowed to keep and take how any non-listed fish species they want.

Trip one is a barge trip down the Mississippi River to an island habitat. Fishes will be collected using seines and trawls. We should see some deepwater fishes not normally seen my recreational collectors. (On the way back, we will grill ribeye steaks and chicken on the canopy-covered barge.)

Trip two is a canoe trip to the Black River (Ozarks). (MDOC crews in boats equipped with outboards will both lead and pull up the rear of the flotilla.) By canoeing, we will gain access to some pristine habitat loaded with fishes!

Trip three offers a chance to legally collect fishes from a National Wildlife Refuge (Mingo swampy lowland). Again, canoes will provide access to a difficult-to-reach locale.

So bring your buckets, bags and coolers. The only "hitch" is that you submit a list of the fishes you wish to take with you.

This promises to be the most memorable NANFA Convention ever.

Chris Scharpf
NANFA HQ