Re: NANFA-L-- OT: Sales of Males

dlmcneely-in-lunet.edu
Mon, 12 Dec 2005 22:09:38 -0600

I have always been aware that people go to the store, buy fish, put
them in a tank, watch them. Somehow, I never thought of those people
as fish hobbyists, any more than people who buy paintings and hang them
on their walls are necessarily knowledgable or even care much about the
artistic schools or styles the paintings represent, much less
understanding the social context in which the painters worked. A
relative of mine, in fact, chooses paintings for her house by color
coordination. When I ran into the NANFA crowd, I saw a different breed
of cat, a group of people with a true interest in fish, somewhere
between the academicians I normally talk fish with, and the general
public with perhaps a passing interest. This discussion has opened up
for me some ways to view folks who keep fish that I hadn't thought of.
For example, it seems odd to me, but now I know that it is done, that
someone would keep fish and want to breed them, without having an
interest in the habitat, geographic setting, other natural history
aspects, evolutionary relationships and so on. I'm learning.

Dave McNeely

David L. McNeely, Ph.D., Professor of Biology
Langston University; P.O. Box 1500
Langston, OK 73050; email: dlmcneely-in-lunet.edu
telephone: (405) 466-6025; fax: 405) 466-3307
home page http://www.lunet.edu/mcneely/index.htm

"Where are we going?" "I don't know, are we there yet?"