Re: NANFA-L-- central mudminnow gravel consumption (Todd)

Mike Austin (emasquinongy-in-yahoo.com)
Fri, 16 Dec 2005 16:50:36 -0800 (PST)

Todd,

I have to break up the sinking carnivore pellets...but yes the blackstripes relish them....also, do you think hornwort would do Okay with standard low watt aquarium lighting....some sources say yes very tolerant...I am now in the market for a real plant..I have reviewed tons of info....just wondered if you had another view

"Todd D. Crail" <tcrail-in-UTNet.UToledo.Edu> wrote:
The topminnows eat-in-them huh? Is there a floating carnivore pellet? This
might help increase my topminnow densities because they just don't have
enough food in my systems in their part of the habitat with the rate they
eat. I could designate a place or two among the frogbit and train them
there.

I've been using hornwort as a sort of floating feeder where I squirt the
food into it, which the redfin shiners are using too (which is good). As
well, on a place where food settles on a large piece of wood, but the
spotfin have figured this one out dangit. The banded killies will go for
food on the bottom (which is where the grazing happens) but I have had a lot
of trouble feeding any more than 4 or 5 blackstripe in a 100 gallon system
(which I'd like 10 or 15 for that empty space ;)

I'm currently keeping a 6 pack in robust form with all the extra fuss. I
sure miss them in the 30 gallon long though... I had 15 in there because the
top was almost the bottom. Bless those shallow tanks... :)

Todd
The Icy Maumee Madness, Toledo, OH
http://www.farmertodd.com