RE: NANFA-L-- River Raisin

Bruce Stallsmith (fundulus-in-hotmail.com)
Mon, 09 Jan 2006 23:45:21 -0500

The famous River Raisin... I just recently read a paper about mussel
diversity in the River Raisin by McRae, Allan and Burch, in Freshwater
Biology, 2004. They surveyed pretty much the whole basin and found 21
species with decently high abundance and diversity. I'm glad the real river
works about to be more interesting than a fairly dispassionate description.
Of course, on one site in the Tennessee we found 23 species of mussels but
the Tennessee's flood plain doesn't exactly exist any more. (And no fat
muckets in the Tennessee here but we do have pink muckets.)

--Bruce Stallsmith
along the balmy Tennessee
Huntsville, AL, US of A