Re: NANFA-L-- species bank for Aussie fishes

Peter Unmack (peter.lists at)
Fri, 13 Jan 2006 11:29:25 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006, geoffrey kimber wrote:

> re: exporting fish from australia-
>
> Is this feasible? I know that Australia has some pretty rigid export
> rules when it comes to birds and reptiles, so I assumed they would
> apply to fish as well.

You can get fish out legally, but it is a pain in the butt to do it
yourself and there are many rules and regulations. But once an exporter
gets setup it goes a bit smoother. For a short while there I remember
there being several species avaiable for probably the first time, but they
were pretty expensive. And of course all of the rainbowfishes and a
couple of gudgeons are already available over here (desert goby, peacock
gudgeon, purple-spotted gudgeon), but few other fishes from other families
have ever been present in the trade.

> re: greener grass
> You're probably right. At least I have fewer venomous reptiles to
> contend with here.

Actually, in Australia people really don't ever think or talk about NA
natives as there are virtually none in the hobby there except maybe a few
flagfish. There used to be sunfish, but luckily those are all gone
(wouldn't want them in the wild in Australia). People are aware of
brightly colored darters, but that is probably about it.

Cheers
Peter