Re: NANFA-L-- Re: nanfa-l-digest V1 #303

Peter Unmack (peter.lists at)
Thu, 14 Jul 2005 10:45:58 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005, Gerald Pottern wrote:

> So here's a suggestion: Can you (or someone) give me & our other users
> that are not-too-Yahoo-savvy a few simple rules on HOW to reply without
> constipating our digest ? (I hope i did my part by deleting everything
> EXCEPT the message i'm responding to)

The problem is not so much people responding to the digest and including
everything, it is people who reply to any message and include all of the
find it nice if people include a small relevant portion of the message so
that everyone knows what they are responding to and who, but there is no
need to resend the whole thread. Some email programs do this
automatically depending on the settings. And there is nothing that will
strip out this information from the digest. I can only get rid of all the
html crap and mime information.

There are a couple things people can do that would instantly help. Never
send any messages in html format (many mailers send messages in both
formats, which doesn't help any). Instructions on how to do this and why
you should do it can be found here, http://www.expita.com/nomime.html
Here is a simple page on quoting material from previous posts,
http://mailformat.dan.info/quoting/intro.html If all users followed these
guidelines, the digest would instantly be cleaner and easier to read.

Tootles
Peter
Red River, Oklahoma