Re: NANFA-L-- larva ID- [was pipefishes in the Chesapeake Bay]

Paul Reed (reederx-in-comcast.net)
Sat, 1 Jul 2006 15:38:51 -0400

Greetings,
I'm pretty new to the list, but feel I can-in-least relate my own experience
here, perhaps it will help.
I'm from MD and know something about the Atlantic shore & bays behind the
barrier islands there.
Apologies right off for not knowing jack about latin names for anything.

About 20 years ago, I used visit Ocean City MD & Bethany Delaware often. I
primarily fished the Indian River inlet and the Delaware Seashore park
http://www.destateparks.com/dssp/dssp.asp
with some friends who I grew up with. (This is all within 20 or so miles of
Assateague Island.) One guy, Anthony, had moved to Bethany by the mid 80s so
I went there a lot of weekends year 'round. In the interest of saving money
on live bait, I bought a cast net and a small seine. We started using them
in various bayside spots, Haven Rd. being our favorite. The cast net was
fine for bait (mummichogs, small Spot & other stuff I don't recall), but
once we started seining, we caught Pipefish, juvy Eels, & more I don't
remember. This sparked my entire interest in native aquatics. This was right
off the access rd., I could drive my various piece of junk economy cars
right up to the places we collected at. (Permit? What's that? I don't need
no stinkin' Permit!)

Knowing basically nothing about how to keep them, I set up a 29 gallon tank
and kept 6-8 pipefish from June to August,-in-which point I returned the
survivors to the place we caught them. (I got sick and tired of feeding live
food several times a day, not to mention constanly having to catch & kill
all the baby crabs that appeared from nowhere.) I bought 1 book-in-the time,
Our Native Fishes, by John Quinn. I credit that book with the survival of
the pipefish (I'm pretty sure only 2 of the pipefish died on me over that
summer, dumb beginner's luck). I still have my beat-up copy of the book.

I lived near Baltimore-in-the time, so when I set this tank up , I brought
ALL of the initial water back with me from right where we caufht the
pipefish.
That water ended up having a good deal of little critters in it, incuding
some Eels that looked virtually the same as in your pics.

Only 1 lived in that tank for any length of time. If memory serves, I took
that one back to the shore after 6-8 weeks. It was a pig, out-competing my
pipefish for the brine shrimp naupli that I had to hatch daily for the
pipefish.

I only got the pipefish to eat the bbs and some kind of nemotodes that were
available back in those days. They were sold under the brand name "Nemos" &
super easy to keep cultures going forever.

I know this is a long post, hope it wasn't completely useless,

Paul Reed

PS, I used to have some fairly cool pics from collecting there & that tank,
but I lost a lot of belongings in a fire in '88. :-(