Re: NANFA-L-- larva ID- on eels and other critters [was

pinocchio (antilupa-in-yahoo.com)
Tue, 4 Jul 2006 06:34:38 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Hello Paul,
Your reply was very refreshing because it
characterizes a state of mind of those that love all
Nature's critters included!

Indeed, I never stoped wondering what is going to show
up in my hand net...like a child...even today after
dozens of years (how many, God?)..I still stick my
nose to the aquarium glass (sometimes for hours)
looking to all creatures moving in the water.

--- Paul Reed <reederx-in-comcast.net> wrote:

> About 20 years ago, I used visit Ocean City MD &
> We started using them > in various bayside spots,
Haven Rd. being our> favorite.

Paul, I went straight to mapquest, but looks like the
Haven (Heaven) Rd is not there anymore after 20 years.
Maybe you can email me privately for some more
details, so we do not bother here people which are not
interested on those details.

> a 29 gallon tank
> and kept 6-8 pipefish from June to August,-in-which
> point I returned the
> survivors to the place we caught them. (I got sick
> and tired of feeding live
> food several times a day, not to mention constanly
> having to catch & kill
> all the baby crabs that appeared from nowhere.) I
> bought 1 book-in-the time,
> Our Native Fishes, by John Quinn. I credit that book
> with the survival of
> the pipefish (I'm pretty sure only 2 of the pipefish
> died on me over that
> summer, dumb beginner's luck). I still have my
> beat-up copy of the book.

Yes, this is the miracle of looking to all Nature's
things...When I go places, I still have the habit to
look for solitary bees nests and such. Last month I
went with a friend who came all the way from France,
in a kamikaze trip to Savannah GA all the way from DC
(48 hrs back and forth, including time spent for
collecting). We were looking for some Pseudobranchus
striatus in some swampy areas. I think I brought home
some many aquatic "bugs"...aquatic plants included...
that one can easily do a biodiversity study of that
particular habitat, only on my
sample....hahahahahha...

> I lived near Baltimore-in-the time, so when I set
> this tank up , I brought
> ALL of the initial water back with me from right
> where we caufht the
> pipefish.
> That water ended up having a good deal of little
> critters in it, incuding
> some Eels that looked virtually the same as in your
> pics.

Indeed..Bruce also confirmed these are the larvae of
the famous (and tasty!) Anguilla rostrata (conger
eel).
I refreshed the link, by adding some more pics. The
larvae drills easily into the sand where they hide
completely...is this hiding behaviour or they can feed
also when burried into the sand?

http://www.2ba2.com/eel/eel.htm

> Only 1 lived in that tank for any length of time. If
> memory serves, I took
> that one back to the shore after 6-8 weeks.

I will take them back to the shore sometimes in
September.

It was a> pig, out-competing my
> pipefish for the brine shrimp naupli that I had to
> hatch daily for the > pipefish.

My eels already cleaned the tank of "moving little
critters", but last night I stole some shrimps from
the freezer. The eels took on spot small shreded
shrimp pieces, so there is an escape route if one
wants to keep eel larvae and not get banckrupt.
Unfortunately with the pipefishes this doesn't work.
They need only live food.

A simple idea came to my mind after seeing how
glutonous they are. Right this time of the year the
biomass of sand fleas (amphipods-I do not know exactly
the species name), is huge. With a simple hand net
with the right "pore size" I was able to sift one
fistfull of amphipods in only one scoop. So, in 15 min
one can get easily a kilo of wet weight amphipods.
Freeze them, and you have food all winter long. I am
seriously considering going back to the beach to get
my few kilos of amphipods. I don't believe that one
needs any kind of permit for such collecting. The idea
came from back home in Europe when I was collecting
live food nearly daily. We were a gang of crazy people
driving by rotation (nearly every day) to some ponds
in the City outskirts, where we were collecting
Daphnia, Cyclops, Chaoborus...all that good stuff....
for dozens of tanks of hungry fishes. We were doing
this even in winter time, making holes in the ice to
scoop water fleas.... and warming up with a litlle bit
of good wine, schnaps or vodka...hahahaha

Sometimes (without any clear sign of why) there were
populational explosions of water fleas, and one can
collect in only one scoop, few kilos-in-a time....it
was more then I needed, so we were freezing large bags
of water fleas and have a continuous supply of fish
food.
I believe that if one washes the sand fleas from the
beach , they can use them also for freshwater
fishes...

> > I know this is a long post, hope it wasn't
> completely useless,

Than you very much Paul
sorin damian