Re: NANFA-L-- Nerites....Again

Friedrich Bitter (cambarus-in-t-online.de)
Tue, 27 Jun 2006 09:19:15 +0200

Dear Dean,
there are several species of Neritina, Clithon, etc. available in the
aquarium trade which are freshwater snails. Even you can find them in
the mouth of coastal streams, they are not depending on higher
salinity. Only the larval stages are drifted into the sea and have to
stay there for a while to return into the feshwater after they developed
into young snails.
In Florida you can find for example Neritina virginea (natural). In the
aquarium trade they mainly sell snails from Indonrsia and Malaysia
(shipped from Singapore).
Many losses of these snails result in a simple thing: If you throw them
in the tank and they hit the bottom upside down they are unable to turn
in the right position, so they simply die. You have to set them snail by
snail in the right position, then everything is okay. Neritina snails
are doing well in aquaria and they can do their work for more then 7 years.

Friedrich Bitter