NANFA-L-- Re: Fish ID's and shiner parasite

Gerald Pottern (gbpottern-in-yahoo.com)
Thu, 29 Jun 2006 07:52:13 -0700 (PDT)

Dan Johnson -- your sunfishS1 and S2 are greens, Lep.
cyanellus. note big mouth, long body, dark dorsal
blotch, white/gold fin edging. I think silverband
shiner (shumardi) is correct. no opinion on the
bantam/bluegill question, except that i think all
three fish are the same sp, and if Bruce says bluegill

Small common carp ? i didnt know they existed. i
thought they were born a foot long, smallest i ever
see. where the heck do little carp hang out ?? deep
pools ?

Sajaad -- i agree re juvenile white sucker - note
anterior scales are MUCH smaller than posterior
scales, unlike redhorse suckers (anterior scales only
slightly smaller). i see many strongly blotched ones
like that in NC. they can change from blotchy to
solid-color in just a minute or two.

Mysteryman -- i got heaps of tiny baby rainbow shiners
if you (or anyone else) need to restock. theyre about
3rd-4th generation from wild ones collected near
Centerville AL in 1999. also baby Apalachicola pygmy
sunfish to spare (the western form of okefenokee) if
anyone needs.

Quick Cure (formalin + malachite green) might also
knock out that Trichodina/Cyclochaeta thing, maybe
safer than copper. I like that old name, very
descriptive - ring of bristles.

Gerald
hangin on the Neuse
sorry folks i havent been available much on the list
lately; no doubt i'm missing a lotta good discussion.

--- nanfa-l-digest <owner-nanfa-l-digest-in-nanfa.org>

http://www.nanfa.org/NANFAregions/il_in/june2006/index.html

/------------------------------------------------------------------
> > -----
> > / This is the discussion list of the North
> American Native Fishes
> > / Association (NANFA). Comments made on this list
> do not necessarily
> > / reflect the beliefs or goals of NANFA. For more
> information
> > about NANFA,
> > / visit http://www.nanfa.org Please make sure all
> posts to nanfa-l are
> > / consistent with the guidelines as per
> > / http://www.nanfa.org/guidelines.shtml To
> subscribe, unsubscribe,
> > or get
> > / help, visit the NANFA email list home page and
> archive at
> > / http://www.nanfa.org/email.shtml

> / This is the discussion list of the North American
> Native Fishes
> / Association (NANFA). Comments made on this list do
> not necessarily
> / reflect the beliefs or goals of NANFA. For more
> information about NANFA,
> / visit http://www.nanfa.org Please make sure all
> posts to nanfa-l are
> / consistent with the guidelines as per
> / http://www.nanfa.org/guidelines.shtml To
> subscribe, unsubscribe, or get
> / help, visit the NANFA email list home page and
> archive at
> / http://www.nanfa.org/email.shtml
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 10:35:25 -0500
> From: Dan Johnson <danjohns-in-io.com>
> Subject: NANFA-L-- Photos from Sunday -in- Navasota
> River, TX
>
> Yesterday I spent much of the day-in-the Navasota
> River near College
> Station, TX. Great day! Here's a writeup.
> Opinions from the pros on
> identifications appreciated.
>
> http://www.io.com/~danjohns/fish/navasota_river.html
>
> Thanks in advance.