NANFA-L-- Re: ID requests

Sajjad Lateef (sajjadlateef-in-yahoo.com)
Thu, 29 Jun 2006 09:12:15 -0700 (PDT)

I am afraid I cannot take all the credit here. Uland Thomas, a new NANFA member from
the Chicago area, did most of IDing on site. Several of the photos were taken by him - the photography
setup you see in one of the photos was hand-crafted by Uland.

Of course, all of us were thrown off by the different coloration of the juveniles and
several NANFA members helped there. Ray Wolff has noted (paraphrasing from his personal email) that
juvenile suckers tend to have very different markings from the adults. Apparently, even adult white sucker coloration
varies quite a bit depending on the locale as well as the season. The juvenile Pimephales still had a lot of growing to do,
spots to develop, etc.

Sajjad

Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 02:54:36 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Brian J. Torreano" <headdarter-in-btdarters.com>
Subject: NANFA-L-- ID requests

Dear Sajjad,
Checked out your pics. It looks like you did a pretty good job
ID-ing. Only a few things I would mention. It looks like pics
#22-#24 are indeed Sand Shiners but you don't have the current
scientific name. The current name is "Notropis stramineus". Pics
#34-#36 are indeed Bluntnose Minnows (Pimephales notatus). The fish
pictured in #28 and #33, however, look to be Blacknose Shiners
(Notropis heterolepis). I could be wrong on that, but I'm pretty
sure. They don't have the preliminary half-ray in the dorsal and the
black spot-in-the beginning of the dorsal. Your juvenile sucker
looks to me to be a juvenile White Sucker. I could be wrong on that,
though. Suckers aren't really my specialty (yet!). Anyway, good
job! Hope this helps a little.

Brian