RE: NANFA-L-- sunnies v. cichlids was tree of life

Dustin Smith (dsmith73-in-hotmail.com)
Mon, 06 Mar 2006 08:40:19 -0500

It's my understanding that, though cichlids and centrarchids are very
closely aligned behaviorly, they are not closely related evolutionarily.
Cichlids are derived from marine fish, where apparently the centrarchids
have always been freshwater. There is also quite a bit of difference in
spawning methods, with the cichlids showing quite a bit more diversity.

Dustin Smith
Lexington, SC
At the convergence of the Broad, Saluda and Congaree

----Original Message Follows----
From: "Bob Bock" <bockhouse-in-earthlink.net>
To: nanfa-l-in-nanfa.org
Subject: NANFA-L-- sunnies v. cichlids was tree of life
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 06:56:52 -0500

Since I'm working on this Powerpoint presentation, does anyone know if it's
possible to say how closely sunfish are related to cichlids, given that
they're kind of similar in general respects? I guess it's safe to say that
their both perciform species, but is there any closer relationship than
that?

Thanks.

Bob