RE: NANFA-L-- Niagara region darters

Schlueter, Scott L LRB (Scott.L.Schlueter-in-LRB01.usace.army.mil)
Mon, 20 Mar 2006 08:26:25 -0500

Gary,
I am probably the closest to you in Buffalo, New York. Unfortunately the
only sampling I have ever done in Ontario waters was for lake sturgeon in the
Niagara River. Rainbow darters are in the mainstem of the Niagara River and
all of the tribs with suitable habitat. I don't think you would have to go
far to catch some. Just review some maps and hit some tribs..

I will forward your email on to someone I know in Ontario. He may be able to
point you in the right direction. If your attempts fail let me know.
-Scott

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-nanfa-l-in-nanfa.org [owner-nanfa-l-in-nanfa.org] On Behalf Of
Gary Elson or Mary Frauley
Sent: Saturday, March 18, 2006 4:03 PM
To: nanfa-l-in-nanfa.org
Subject: NANFA-L-- Niagara region darters

Hello,
I have just rejoined this list after several years' absence. I stopped
keeping native fish because I couldn't adequately overwinter my local fish
(I'm in Montreal Quebec). They didn't respond well to permanent summer in my
house. A few weeks ago, I realized a largely unused, always above zero
celsius mini-greenhouse in the high-school where I work would solve that
problem - I can keep the fish cool enough all summer-in-my place and
overwinter them-in-work. I'm now waiting for the ice to go so I can get back
to keeping and learning about some of my old favourite local Etheostoma from
the canal up the street.

However, I am going to be in the Niagara Falls region (Canadian side) this
summer, on a very short and not very mobile visit. I would like to catch
some rainbow darters, a fish which occurs in my region but in such a small
range and in such limited numbers I would never even try to catch them here.
I want some colourful natives to maybe draw some of the kids who keep
tropicals into a native fish conservation project. I'll be heading north for
some Phoxinus, but a colourful darter is a sight to behold. Reading suggests
rainbows are common around Niagara. Since I won't be in a position to look
around extensively, can someone with experience of the region help me cheat
myself of the full exploration experience and steer me to some likely
fishing spots?

Gary Elson