NANFA-L-- local Piedmont North Carolina streams

Derek Parr (derekparr-in-earthlink.net)
Wed, 29 Mar 2006 22:59:33 -0500

I'm the secretary-in-our local aquarium group, the Raleigh Aquarium
Society. We meet the 1st thursday every month-in-the NCSU Vet school in
Raleigh, which is probably alot more driving than you're interested in.
At any rate, we also have a yahoo group that we use alot to keep in
contact between meetings. Several of us are also interested in natives.
One person you may recognize from the NANFA list is Gerald Pottern.
The man is extremely knowledgeable on the subject of local fish and
loves to share it. I've learned a lot from listening to him.

At any rate, here are the links for our main site and our yahoo group.
Please join the group to receive our email list. Then feel free to ask
questions. We're very lucky living in central NC. I think we have the
biggest variety of native fish than any other state. From the tennessee
valley, the savannah river head waters... the broad and french broad
river basins to the piedmont and the coastal regions.. most varieties
of eastern natives can be found here. I got side tracked... Here are
the links: ;]

http://raleighaquariumsociety.org/main.html

-derek parr
chapel hill, nc

Dennis Burnette wrote:
> I appreciate Nick's thoughtful reply to Joel's e-mail. I agree with his
> ethical position and have a similar one that I try to follow. A parallel
> might be that I do a lot of butterfly and dragonfly photography but have no
> interest in collecting them - in that situation, meaning killing them and
> mounting their bodies in a display case. (That's because of my own personal
> preference; my statement isn't an attack on others who do collect insects
> for responsible reasons, so please don't bombard me with pro-bug collecting
> replies, folks!) As for fish, I intend to set up a naturalistic tank that
> resembles our local Piedmont North Carolina streams someday very soon. In
> the meantime, I want to enjoy "collecting" the objects of my interest in the
> form of photographs for fun, and I often use my slides in educational
> presentations. That was the reason for my original "photograph and release"
> question.
>
> Dennis
> --
> Dennis Burnette
> Greensboro, NC
> <deburnette-in-triad.rr.com>
>
> -----

    derek parr                          http://www.derekparr.com
    101-B eastwood lake road                artist-in-derekparr.com
    chapel hill, NC  27514                          919.444.9003