Re: NANFA-L-- Jedi Fishin'

dlmcneely-in-lunet.edu
Tue, 24 May 2005 13:48:39 -0500

Of course I know about carbon dioxide and respiratory failure in fish.
You can use Alka Seltzer as a collecting toxicant or a narcotizing
agent. What I'm talking about is putting dry ice in a bottle and
sealing it, then dropping it in a stream or lake. Supposedly, the
sublimation releases the gas, builds up pressure, and after a bit,
kaboom! But I would think (a physical scientist needs to help me here)
that the partial pressure in the bottle would quickly bring the
sublimation into equilibrium if the bottle was sealed tightly enough to
hold the pressure well enough to generate explosive force, and so there
would be no explosion. Or more likely, few bottles would seal that
tightly or hold enough dry ice to generate that much power.

My reference to poaching was to Moon's comment about the lime in the
bottle, and stunning fish so they could be picked up. Sounded like
poaching to me.

Dave

David L. McNeely, Ph.D., Professor of Biology
Langston University; P.O. Box 1500
Langston, OK 73050; email: dlmcneely-in-lunet.edu
telephone: (405) 466-6025; fax: 405) 466-3307
home page http://www.lunet.edu/mcneely/index.htm

"Where are we going?" "I don't know, are we there yet?"