Re: NANFA-L-- Re: the aquarium hobby as conservator of

Steffen Hellner (steffen-in-hellner.biz)
Thu, 11 May 2006 16:25:34 +0200

Not diabolis, nobody has it. But this species is most obviously nothing else
but a starvation form of nevadensis. When transferred to Hoover dam for
backup the fish grew much bigger and changed body shape. Anyway it will be
worth preserving it. But as far as I know the authorities have ever denied
to hand these fish to hobbyists. Imagine a hobbyist would achieve what the
"official experts" didn4t?! Nono, the system is not this way.

There is not much money needed for a conservation program on private basis.
Enthusiasm is needed - and the fish. I would like to backup some highly
endangered brazilian fish, and NANF, but never get the chance to get them.

European conservation agencies? Only political groups, some merely only
commercial on its own purpose. Or only engaged in big game for which people
are willing to donate money. Tiger, Great Panda, Rhinos, fancy birds. But
not for Wolfes, toads, newts or tiny fish. Not beautiful, not spectacular
enough.

I only mean hobbyists for captive breeding programs on fish and some other
classes of animals. Zoos are busy with wildlife already and that they do in
an excellent manner. But there are not enough means to cover all endangered
species which are less known to the public. But a network of enthusiast
could work fine and successful. But jealousy is widespread within aquarists,
I know what I am talking about. That is the main obstacle in my
understanding.