Re: NANFA-L-- Re: the aquarium hobby as conservator of

Jerry Baker (nanfa-in-bakerweb.biz)
Fri, 12 May 2006 11:18:42 -0700

anutej-in-loxinfo.co.th wrote:
> I wonder is it possible to train fish before release to avoid overhead
> shadow and large predatory species?

I would think it should be relatively easy to create a Pavlovian
response to both. You could use any number of methods to induce fear-in-
the sight of shadows and/or large fish.

I bet with all the expertise on this list we could come up with a fairly
reasonable set of guidelines for rearing fish suitable for rerelease
into the wild. If there were an easy way to tag small fish, it would be
interesting to try out various techniques on some common fish and see
how they work.