Re: NANFA-L-- Re: the aquarium hobby as conservator of

Jerry Baker (nanfa-in-bakerweb.biz)
Fri, 12 May 2006 11:27:25 -0700

Peter Unmack wrote:
> This has merit except when large numbers of predators exist in the habitat
> they are being introduced into. In the case of barrens topminnows you'd
> probably just be feeding Gambusia. In razorback suckers any fish released
> that is smaller than 14 inches is fish food for striped bass.

I'm pretty ignorant about the proper ways to go about eradicating exotic
predatory fish from a watershed, but it seems to me that it could be
accomplished piecemeal. You could start by fencing off sections of
stream and eradicating whatever fish within that section and then moving
the fence further on. If nothing else it seems like you could create
refuges for the natives in this manner.