Re: RE: NANFA-L-- Houston area fish collections from today

dlmcneely-in-lunet.edu
Mon, 22 May 2006 16:45:37 -0500

Hi Dan,

The other ids, hmmmm . I've misplaced the photos, and so can't look
again. However, regarding the gar: the bright brassy coloration, the
longitudinal stripe, and the spots, with a greater concentration of
spots on the posterior upper body and caudal fin are consistent with
longnose babies. To be more certain, measure the snout from the front
of the eye and compare it to the head from the front of the eye to the
posterior tip of the operculum. snout > 2x rest of head, longnose.
Shorter than 2x ?? In a fingerling, problematic. Next, look-in-the
head and snout from above in good light. Short snout and spots (spots
may be subtle) -- spotted gar.

David L. McNeely, Ph.D., Professor of Biology
Langston University; P.O. Box 1500
Langston, OK 73050; email: dlmcneely-in-lunet.edu
telephone: (405) 466-6025; fax: 405) 466-3307
home page http://www.lunet.edu/mcneely/index.htm

"Where are we going?" "I don't know, are we there yet?"