Re: NANFA-L-- New photos from the field today

dlmcneely-in-lunet.edu
Sat, 27 May 2006 11:44:42 -0500

Dan, I think your "redbreast sunfish" is more likely a dollar
sunfish, based on the opercular tab. The redbreasts I've seen have a
very long opercular tab. Also, the fish is deep bodied with a rounded
belly profile, while most redbreasts are relatively less so for
Lepomis, usually having a straight belly profile. Unknown sunfish
number 1 I think is a young bluegill. It has the double vertical
lines and a faint spot in the soft dorsal. Unkown sunfish number 2 I
think is probably another dollar sunfish. But I'm no Lepomis expert!
The Guadalupe bass looks like fingerlings I've seen, with some of the
lateral bars being diamond shaped. Lots of these in the larger
streams are hybrids with smallmouth. However, I'm surprised for it to
be that far down the river. I've not collected down there, but most
references restrict it to the reaches further up. If you can, get
more and compare them with spotted bass from nearby. If you have fish
you can sacrifice, the telling detail
is the number of pyloric cecae, but you'd need to look it up, as I
don't remember the number for each of the two species. The warmouth
is right.

David L. McNeely, Ph.D., Professor of Biology
Langston University; P.O. Box 1500
Langston, OK 73050; email: dlmcneely-in-lunet.edu
telephone: (405) 466-6025; fax: 405) 466-3307
home page http://www.lunet.edu/mcneely/index.htm

"Where are we going?" "I don't know, are we there yet?"