Re: NANFA-L-- plants and soil

Subject: Re: NANFA-L-- plants and soil
From: njz (njz at clevelandmetroparks.com)
Date: Wed Sep 29 2004 - 21:12:48 CDT

I have no doubt that your wood is adding color to your water, but I do
believe that it is exaserbated by the 55K bulbs. Your reef tank had nothing
to leach out tannins into the water, since it was relatively algae free.
That of course is why it looked clear. And I guarantee you that if you put
a 55K, a 65K and a 10K next to each other in the reef, you would see the
yellow spike in the 55K. But you know that already, so I am preaching to
the choir. What I am getting at is that the 55's are not helping your
tannin situation. Carbon will of course do wonders for the color, and you
may have to keep it in for a while. Of course then you have to deal with
the adsorption of CO2 by the carbon, which is precious to your plants of
course. Never thought of the "radiation" speeding up the leaching process,
however I am sure that much of it is getting absorbed rather quickly in your
yellow organic soup. Have you tested phosphates at all with the use of the
soil? Any signs of cyano?

Nick Zarlinga

"If we ignore nature.....maybe it'll go away."