RE: NANFA-L-- Endangered Species Act

Christopher Gutmann (cgutmann at dupageforest.com)
Wed, 21 Sep 2005 16:51:07 -0500

That is a common misperception. The bottom line is that the ESA has not been around long enough to accurately judge its effectiveness because recovery of the vast majority of listed species cannot be accomplished in a mere 32 years. Any listed species that has showed dramatic improvement since the inception of the ESA, should be considered extraordinary. Two examples that spring to mind of species that have greatly benefited from the ESA and have shown remarkable recoveries thus far include the bald eagle and peregrine falcon. Conservation biologists today work very hard to provide people incentives to preserve endangered species.

Chris

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-nanfa-l at nanfa.org [owner-nanfa-l at nanfa.org]On Behalf
Of Moontanman at aol.com
Sent: Wednesday, September 21, 2005 3:33 PM
To: nanfa-l at nanfa.org
Subject: Re: NANFA-L-- Endangered Species Act

Hey guys guess how many species have actually been saved or for that matter
even helped by ESA...... None at all, as a matter of fact some people smarter
than me (yeah I thought that was unlikely too) say it often hurts by giving
people an incentive to kill any endangered species they might find on their land
so they can do what ever it is they want with the land. I know here in SENC
I've seen many hundreds of acres made into housing developments and golf courses
by bulldozing any area that had protected plants growing there. I was very
familiar with one site, wonderful place of swamps, soft ground, dan small ponds.
there were everything from pond pines to venus fly traps, sundews, and
pitcher plants. All gone now, the land was drained and has to be consistently
drained by under ground pumps to keep it from going back to marsh again. Either ESA
has no teeth at all or it very easy to get around if you grease the right
palms.

Michael