RE: NANFA-- Antibiotics

Crail, Todd (tcrail_at_northshores.com)
Tue, 12 Nov 2002 14:54:06 -0500

Now let's not throw the baby out with the water change Martin ;)

The practicle alternative is that I have *never* found it *necessary* to use
broad spectrum or gram specific antibiotics in *any* of my aquaria pursuits,
*any* of my customer's aquaria pursuits, *any* of the people I've advised
online's aquaria pursuits. In fact, things more frequently became worse
(read: animals actually were harmed in the creation of this event) when they
didn't listen to my arguments and did whatever they wanted which usually,
didn't involve a separate container to do a dip in because they'd ignored
everything I said. And then who came back whimpering?

I'm not questioning anyone's methods specifically. All I'm getting at is we
ought to thoughtfully consider what we're doing with this stuff, and that I've
found them to not be necessary in our aquariums. Plainly put, *I just don't
think they need to be on the shelf*. Remember all that dialogue I presented
yesterday about correcting the problems before worrying yourself about the
symptoms? :)

And I wasn't talking about just fish getting affected upon watershed
contamination, but that point I think has been lost in the fact that this is,
afterall, a fish list. But you might take heart in reading Mr. Huntley's
human account :)

Todd