RE: Re: NANFA-- Hogsucker

Nicholas J. Zarlinga (njz_at_clevelandmetroparks.com)
Mon, 9 Sep 2002 16:08:27 -0400

The term "live" refers to keeping a microfauna of critters alive and
growing in the substrate. Usually, in our aquariums, we tend to keep our
gravel vacuumed and clean. This method is a more natural method that
enables the tiny organisms to grow and reproduce also. It came from the
coral reef buzz that has flourished so well recently. I think to house a
hog sucker, and allowing for growth, you would need a large suface area of
"live" substrate for it to graze off of. Another idea would be to use a
refugium (an inaccessible section of substrate where the microfauna can
grow, reproduce, and spread without being disturbed).

Nick Zarlinga
Aquarium Biologist
Cleveland Metroparks Zoo
216-661-6500 ex 4485

"Fish worship... is it wrong??" (Ray Troll)

On Monday, September 09, 2002 3:11 PM, John Bongiovanni
[SMTP:bongi_at_cox-internet.com] wrote:
> For the unitiated (me) what is live sand? And if it is what I think it
is, how can you keep it "live" for the duration to the point in time (1-
1.5 years)which you fish are "stressed to death"?

------