Re: NANFA-L-- Help! Redside Dace Recovery in Ontario

Todd D. Crail (tcrail-in-UTNet.UToledo.Edu)
Tue, 8 Aug 2006 09:45:06 -0400

Rob,

First of all... I consider myself an environmentalist. I don't know why you
assumed any negativity. Secondly, I wasn't being sarcastic. I was being
curtly blunt, else this turns into another philosophical musings session.
And this deserves a better treatment than that.

What I want you to understand is that "those who don't listen"...

*** Why is solely their fault they haven't listened? ***

Communication is a two way street, man.

I'll give you a scenario, and see if makes some sense...

Group X decides they have "The Solution". So they go about telling people
in Group Why that they have "The solution". However, they only have
supported "The Solution" with situations that Group Why can't just go down
the road and see, and Group Why isn't real keen on going about and finding
things out for sake of knowing. They were pretty danged busy with their
current activity.

Furthermore, Group Why has been given a pile of evidence that Group X finds
itself part of an intelligence elite, which carries a certain weight of
arrogance that blinds them to the fact that they know absolutely NOTHING
about the activity that they'd like to see changed by Group Why.

Now throw in the fact that Group Why is in charge of 1) feeding their family
and 2) feeding the rest of us, and I find myself a little bit glad they're
resistant to changing what they're doing!

If group X is so stinkin' smart, and "The Solution" so intuitive, then why
haven't they found a way to communicate it? "The Answer" is not that Group
Why is in a continual less evolved state of ignorance. Stubborn, heck yeah.
But Group X needs to find its way into the lives of Group Why, not just show
up in their shiney truck and tell them what to do, then leave. And really,
"ignorant" has only become a PC way to say "You're a freakin' dumb a...."
because one group hasn't found a way to communicate effectively.

The question I never want to hear is "And have you ever farmed, boy?" It's
also the question I'm dying to hear. It's a crux in communication, and
where I can vocally pay respect to the fact that I'd look like a drunk
sailor out on a tractor, hacking up all of my crop, and really taking it on
the nose until I figured out how to do all that stuff. It's a point where I
can assure the person that I'm not trying to tell them how to do their
job... That I'm trying to give suggestions, and use their expertise to gauge
how they feel those suggestions might work in their situation. You might be
suprised how far you get with that approach. But it starts with respect
from the git go, else you never get to "the question".

Impervious surfaces developers? Have at 'em! They're the real demons of
today. They're educated in Group X's schools, and they just want the money.
But please consider giving the farmers a break, take a step back, and well,
go talk to one. I've yet to meet a farmer who didn't like to talk :)

Todd
The Go Hug A Farmer Today Madness, Toledo, OH
http://www.farmertodd.com