Re: NANFA-L-- Pigeon Mtn dace/chub hybrid

Bruce Stallsmith (fundulus-in-hotmail.com)
Thu, 21 Jul 2005 15:50:01 -0400

A lot of times an odd sunfish isn't a hybrid but a morph, or body type,
within the species. Bluegills are famous for having "sneaker" males, small
males that look like females that sneak into the nests guarded and built by
larger, more colorful alpha males so that the sneaker male can fertilize
eggs and have them guarded by the alpha. Not all individuals of a species
look alike... the individual variation is important even without bizarre
morphs like sneakers.

--Bruce Stallsmith
ain't a hybrid in sight along the Tennessee
Huntsville, AL, US of A