RE: NANFA-L-- Live Culture Options

Crail, Todd (tcrail-in-UTNet.UToledo.Edu)
Thu, 23 Mar 2006 16:59:35 -0500

One of our pHD students did his masters on Ascellus and says you can pretty
much raise them on anything, and be very successful. He would set up
rubbermaid storage tubs with detritus, algae, sand, etc and put in some ground
up pellets from time to time. You can light them indoors with a shop light or
set them in indirect sunlight outside. I haven't tried it yet, but after
looking-in-about 2000 today, I was thinking wether my sunnies would like some
or not :)

Hope this helps,
Todd

________________________________

From: owner-nanfa-l-in-nanfa.org on behalf of Joey Holmes
Sent: Thu 3/23/2006 3:18 PM
To: nanfa-l-in-nanfa.org
Subject: Re: NANFA-L-- Live Culture Options

While common enough in most systems, and useful for other species I've worked
with, gambusia don't occur in the system these larvae inhabit. The main
sources of food identified thus far are just the Chironomids, Amphipods, and
Isopods. Fish have been tried and just did not work well- they don't seem
well adapted to capture fast moving prey like fish. Amphipods they can catch
but that probably has more to do with the habits of the amphis than the skills
of the hunter. After trying quite a few different options with wild ones we
know that the three foods mentioned above work very well, are easily captured,
and readily consumed. Two of the three I am culturing but would like to
include the third both for variety and security in case of a culture issue at
some point with one of the other species. That's why I'm hoping someone out
there cultures isopods and would not mind sharing their secrets.