Re: NANFA-L-- Live Culture Options

Peter Unmack (peter.lists at)
Mon, 27 Mar 2006 17:53:45 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 27 Mar 2006, Jase Roberts wrote:

> Anyone else have tips on blackworms or other largish live foods you
> raise? Anyone tried to culture fly larvae (maggots)? I just got 1000
> from grubco, and my fish seem to respond to them pretty well.

Maggots are easy, hang up a piece of meat over a bucket with bran in it.
Takes about a week depending on the temperature. Once you collect them
keep them in the fridge as this slows their growth, otherwise they will
eventually fly away. If you google around I'm sure you'll find more
precise details. They are very popular fishing bait in Europe. They tend
to call the gentles (probably as that is a less alarming term relative to
telling your wife about what you just put in the fridge).

Tootles
Peter
Provo River, Utah